How to Deal with Several “missing file” Errors while Launching ELMconfig i.e. mscomctl.ocx or mscomm32.ocx error
The filenames mscomctl.ocx, mscomm32.ocx or mswinsck.ocx are actually Windows system files associated with ELMconfig. These “missing file” errors occur due to the deletion of the said files for various reasons, such as virus or malware infection, clean install, etc. All of these files are actually included in the ELMconfig .zip file upon installation. Here’s what you need to do to fix this “missing file” issue:
Go to this link and download the file mscomm32.ocx.
If you are running Windows on a 32-bit machine, copy the file that you have downloaded to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. On the other hand, if you are running Windows on a 64-bit machine, copy the file to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
Click the Start button.
- Type “command” in the search box… DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- Type the following command: regsvr32 /u MSCOMM32.OCX.
- Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
- Type the following command: regsvr32 /i MSCOMM32.OCX.
- Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
- Close the command prompt window.
- Re-start the program associated with MSCOMM32.OCX error.
Here is the link to complete instruction (with screenshots): link