How to Check Blank PATS Key Using FORScan
Most of the issues raised with the PATS programming process are related to the incorrect use of blank keys. Often the issue is due to PATS not working properly or not compatible with the transponder. This guide will show the steps on how to check a blank key using FORScan.
First is to insert the blank key in the ignition lock.
Find the module where PATS is located. Go to the Service tab and look for the module that has the PATS programming function. The location varies on the car model, you may find it at the PCM, PATS, IC, or HEC etc.
Read the DTC. You can read the DTC for the PATS module in the Errors section for the newer car models with CAN bus. For the older car models, you will have to run the PATS module self-test in the Tests section.
Analyze the DTC codes displayed:
1. If the DTC code displayed after the test shows the B1601 code (B10D7:51 for new PATS), it means that your blank key can be programmed for your vehicle.
2. If the DTC code displayed after the test shows the B1600 code (B10D7:87 for new PATS), it means that PATS couldn’t recognize your blank key and is not compatible with your vehicle.
3. If the DTC code displayed after the test shows the B1602 code (sometimes simultaneously with B1600, B1601) (B10D7:8F for new PATS), it means that PATS cannot get a stable reading of your key transponder. This often happens with clones. Try switching the transponder to another place of the key fob. Replace the transponder if it still won’t work.
There are times that programming these type of keys via FORScan v2.2.8 and older shows that the key programmed successfully, but when checking the PATS memory it reveals that the key counter did not increase and did not register the newly programmed key. Then the Errors section will display the B2431 code, which means that the Transponder Programming Failed.
4. Contact customer support when the test returns another code (none of B1601...B1602, but still related to PATS).
5. If the test returns with none of the B1600 or the B1601 codes, it means that the key you are using is already programmed in the PCM.
*Special thanks to the online community who have created the original resource
In order to check blank PATS key using FORScan, you will need a reliable OBD2 adapter. These are our featured OBD2 adapters that work flawlessly with FORScan: