How to Diagnose and Program your BMW with ISTA/D
The BMW ISTA/D is a current dealer-level diagnostic software commonly used for all E Series and F Series BMW vehicles. It replaces the older version DIS diagnostic software. The ISTA/D software can be used in diagnosing all BMW models but it can only program BMW F-/I-/G-/Mini/RR series cars and beyond. It does not support programming for E Series models.
A video guide from BMW Doctor shows how to use the ISTA/D diagnostic software on your BMW vehicle. Check it out on the video below.
ISTA D, ISTA+, and Rheingold are the same and often used interchangeably. ISTA, which stands for Integrated Service Technical Application, developed from a folder file named Rheingold that contains BMW's main application and data. Rheingold became ISTA/D later on - which D stands for Diagnostics. On the other hand, the P for ISTA/P stands for Programming.
Just like ISTA/P, ISTA/D requires the ICOM interface for the following purpose:
- ICOM A: used for the main interface
- ICOM B: serves as an adapter for programming multimedia in E series models
- ICOM C: serves as adapter for old BMW models that uses the round 20 pin diagnostic plug
- ICOM D: serves as an adapter for BMW motorcycles
BMW had categorized the application of ISTA/D into two parts - Programming and Diagnostics. Here's how it is applied:
- Repair of software
- Information guide for repair and maintenance
- Vehicle identification and management.
- Update of Software
- Conversions and Retrofits
- Replacement of Control Unit
If you wish some assistance in your BMW coding and programming, you can request for remote coding assistance for a flat fee here: https://bit.ly/RemoteCodingAssistance
In order to connect your vehicle with ISTA/D, you will need a reliable adapter. Check out our OBD interface cables for BMW: